Re: APT archive

(CC'd debian-hurd as the people there may also be interested)

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:45:09AM -0800, ivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 03:45:01PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> > Thanks to Mr. Colin's excellent work, groff and groff-base are now present
> > in the archive, built from the new canonical sources. This should make some
> > number of other packages buildable now... groff-x11 will follow once the
> > X11 stuff is actually done (since that requires figuring out why it wants
> > kernel-headers-2.4 and what to do about that, it may be a while).
>
> i'm guessing it requires kernel-headers to build the kernel part of
> xfree86's DRI, the DRM.  i don't think DRM is supported in the netbsd
> kernel yet, so we should remove the dependancy on kernel-headers-2.4.  If
> I read Xfree's config/cf/linux.cf and config/cf/NetBSD.cf right, Xfree's
> build process should take care of turning off DRM and the dependancy on
> kernel headers when it builds under NetBSD.  Hopefully that'll work for
> deb flavoured netbsd too.  :)

Take into account that Debian was never made for any other kernel than
Linux. The Hurd port was only started in 1998 and we still have some
problems with the linuxism of Debian.

The architecture names is one example. It's just i386 and no way talks
about the kernel. This wasn't a really big problem, as the Hurd
currently runs only on i386 and we have thus only one architecture
name. We simply use hurd-i386, but there is already some work going on
to port the Hurd to powerpc, so we might have a hurd-powerpc in the near
future. Now the BSDs are also coming to Debian, this is really going
to be the problem with all netbsd architectures for example. :)

There is already a wishlist item filed about it, but only the way
suggested is not the Right Way IMHO:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=118910&repeatmerged=yes

I propose a more flexible scheme. All ports should have the
name <kernel>-<architecture>, i.e. hurd-i386, netbsd-alpha,
linux-powerpc. Then add flexible handling of the port names in
dpkg. You should be able to use the any and all files in the part of
the filenames, for example:

Architecture: any-any
Architecture: all-all
Architecture: linux-all
Architecture: linux-any
Architecture: all-alpha
Architecture: i386-alpha

Build-Depend: foo [all-i386]
Build-Depend: bar [linux-all]

And then then the way to solve the X problems:
Build-Depend: kernel-headers-2.4 [linux-all]

Note that kernel-headers should be linux-headers actually. :))
Kernel-headers should be some meta package depending on the right
headers for the right platform.

Feel free to give any critic to this idea.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org