Re: Meta files for files without new interfaces

Marcus Brinkmann <brinkmd@master.debian.org> writes:

> You will have to find an extension outside of POSIX.  This discussion came
> up in the Austin group a year ago or so, where some people wanted to have
> a reserved name space for such data, like ..., or whatever you can think of.

One way might be to attach "/foo" at the end of a name of a *file*. If
"bar" is a file, POSIX requires that "bar/" should be equivalent to
"bar", but "bar/foo" is meaningless and trying to use that name will
just result in some error. Right? So extending POSIX by assigning a
meaning to such names seems reasonably safe. And we're almost doing
that already, with nodes that support both file and directory
operations.

This said, I'm not sure we need meta files/resource forks. I believe
properties lists would be nice, put I'm not sure it's very useful to
open a property the same way you open a file.

/Niels