Re: Meta files for files without new interfaces

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 07:43:12AM +0200, Ognyan Kulev wrote:

As a way to avoid new interfaces for dealing with properties, we can use
the empty file name "". So `cat index.html//mime/content-type' would print `text/html'.

We can't, for many reasons.  For one, the empty filename is used in the
Hurd protocol already for other stuff (I don't remember for what).

There was a discussion about some bugs in processing empty file names but while reading it i didn't notice the special nature of these file names.

Second, this conflicts directly with POSIX, which says that // is
converterted to / on all lookups.

I didn't know that requirement of POSIX. I thought the semantics of // is just undefined in POSIX :-/ IMHO using concepts like files and directories for handling metainfo will make these abilities more popular.

--
Ognyan Kulev <ogi@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>, "\"Programmer\""