Re: httpfs what is it?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:56:23PM -0700, Josh Hansen wrote:
> Is it possible that this could become a part of a more all-encompassing
> Virtual FileSystem implementation like that seen in KDE? (KIOSlaves, etc.)
> Allowing any application to view data using any protocol is very powerful
> idea, used well in KDE and I believe becoming implemented in GNOME. However,
> my concerns with having this protocol layer at the high level of a desktop
> environment is that performance is probably not what it could be and non-KDE
> or non-GNOME apps can't take advantage of it.
>
> So to build an OS with this sort of support from the start would be very
> beneficial, IMHO.

This is what the Hurd does since its very beginning!!!

The Hurd provides an all-encompassing file system at the system level (eg,
glibc and below).

The KIOSlaves and Gnome VFS are only dim shadows of this idea compared to
the Hurd, and mostly redundant.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de