Re: Developers who write Debian GNU/Linux when they mean Debian.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:05:57AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> I usually prefer just "... for the Debian system". "Debian/GNU" reads
> awkwardly to me.

Thats my opinion too.

After all, as far as I am concerned Debian is the name of the
operating system, it just happens to use a lot of code from the
GNU project. Especially in the case of the version of Debian that
uses The Hurd.

This is a bit different from the argument to say "GNU/Linux" instead of
just "Linux", because you cannot have a system only running Linux, as
Linux is only the kernel. You need some other software too.

However, Debian, as I see it is a complete operating system, and
automatically implies usage of GNU software, XFree86 software (assuming
you use X), BSD software (depending on what you have installed), etc.