Re: hurd translator

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 03:26:04PM +0100, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> > This is not something that can be done this way in Unix, so a program would
> > not expect it to work the way it is written above, so in the Unix world this
> > is not a useful feature to have.
>
> Try this:
>
>         neal@bassanio:~ (0)$ mkfifo foo

I realize that a fifo is what you would use under Unix.  But even with a
fifo you don't expect that what you write is different from what you read,
so there is little point in trying what I wrote in my mail, a write on a file
descriptor followed by a read on the very same descriptor.  Consequently,
fifos and pipes are used to carry data from one program to another.

In some sense, the run translator is acting as a bidirectional pipe to a
program on the other end, so it encapsulates the complexity of creating
pipes, forking, dup'ing the file descriptors and execing the backend.
However, bidirectional pipes are non-standard, so you can't really use them
in portable software.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de