Re: hurd translator

* [arun v]

> Actually, the idea what we have is :
>
> hurd# settrans /tmp/PASSWD
> ~/work/hurd/my-tr-translator --file /etc/passwd --expr
> "a-z A-Z"

If I'm not much mistaken a "normal" tr command is available in /bin, so
I'm thinking it would perhaps be more useful to create a more generic
translator for running commands.  Then the same results as with your
example above could be attained like this:

hurd# settrans /tmp/PASSWD /hurd/binrunner \
      /bin/bash -c "/usr/bin/tr a-z A-Z < /etc/passwd"

Can /hurd/exec perhaps be used as a passive translator in this way?  I
don't currently have access to a Hurd, so I'm unable to check.

I believe this would be more generally useful than the "tr translator",
but perhaps general usefulness was not as much a goal as just playing
around with writing a translator?

Oystein
--
Ebg13 arire tbrf bhg bs fglyr..