Re: Mach independence

On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 22:45, Ondrej Hurt wrote:

> What are your thoughts on this subject ?
>
> I think this issue should be solved before people start to write
> HURD-specific (non-POSIX) software. I am not able to do it myself as
> I am no HURD/Mach/L4/whatever expert. I would like to do some coding
> for HURD, no design. I have just begun studying the HURD so I hope i
> didn't blather too much nonsense and sorry for my broken eNgluSh ;-)

Just my 2 cents here, but I think you're thinking on the wrong level.
The Hurd, gnumach, and a lot of this end of the gnu system are young
codebases; it doesn't provide what's needed because it's still in the
early stages of development.  Of course, the Hurd has a lot of Mach
specific stuff in it because it's developmental code being developed on
and for Mach.  Once it becomes an issue; when people start porting the
Hurd to different microkernels and are forced to deal with the problem,
the approriate solution will present itself.  As far as I can see,
there's not really that much that can be done now to help with that.
Given this, it seems like a bit of a null issue.

Bob

--
Bob Ham: bob@ham.org       GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org/

A pessimist expects the weather to get worse.
An optimist hopes it will improve.
A realist adjusts the sails.