Emacs not working under X

Dear all,

today I've installed emacs 20.3-5 on my Hurd partition. It works just
fine on the console. But when I say emacs & or even emacs -q & in an
xterm, a new blank window shows up and nothing (visible) further
happens until it disappears again, leaving a message "Connection to X
server .0:0" lost" behind in the xterm window. The exit code with
which emacs quits is 70.

To solve this I've updated all the X packages, tried to set the
DISPLAY variable manually, I also tried variations like

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Furthermore, it doesn't make a difference if X was started through xdm
or the startx command or whether emacs is started by a normal user or
by root.

However, these effort didn't make emacs work.

Since I there is no "strace" for Hurd yet, I have no further
information what emacs actually tries to do before quitting.

Has anybody of you had the same problem? Is there a known solution? Or
is emacs simply broken on GNU/Hurd?

Ciao,

Johannes

P.S.: Is there any way to make gnupg work under GNU/Hurd? On my
box it always complains that it is unable to get a memory lock and quits.
--
~/.signature under construction