X11 failled to run (was: H1 images - comments and questions)

Hi all,

Using HURD CD's (H1 date 20011107), I just reinstall from scratch my hurd-i386 box.

Everything seems to works more or less fine.

After the initial.sh was completed I used apt-cdrom to add cd:
        # settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hd1
        # apt-cdrom add
        # settrans -agf /cdrom
and so on for the tree CD's. And finally complete with apt-get update.

Then I install xdm with apt-get install xdm which was completed successfully :<))
(I fill lucky because all packages stand on the same CD)

I first mount my woody root fs to get my operational XF86config files
(xfree86-4.1.0-9).
Then I try to launch "/etc/init.d/xdm start"[1] which complained that it can not
load libXpm.so.4, file does not exist . (startx command complained of lack of
libXmuu.so.4)

I have a look and those files were well installed by xlibs package and ther are
links.
On the other hand /etc/ld.so.conf contains well the path to X11R6 libs (as in my
linux box: /usr/X11R6/lib).
Then I try ldconfig and retry [1]. No more success (same error message)?

But no ld.so.cache was created. So is there something broken with ld?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance for help and congratulation for nice job,
        Joel

This mail sent through Tiscalinet Webmail (http://webmail.tiscali.be)