Re: um-ppp installation

> I've try with other labels than 'ondemand' and with other devices
> (original /dev/cuaa1 -> /dev/ttyS0, /dev/tty00, /dev/tty01)
> but I always got the same errors.

Try /dev/com0.

> So, can I connect my GNU/Hurd box to the net with an ISP ?

Connecting should not be a problem.  However, once you have connected
you will run into a bug (which I suspect is in the tunnel device) and
large data (> 64k) transfers will block.

> Is there a simple way to test if my modem is working ?

There are the AT commands which you can issue via, e.g. minicom.

> PS1: Like I don't find docs on this subjet (only messages), I'll
> very happy to make one or include one in a FAQ. (But I have to
> understand what to do)

One of the problems is that I do not have a modem and have never
actually tested this part of the code -- I normally test using ppp
over a serial cable between two computers.  So, I think it is pretty
evident why I am not the best ppp maintainer.

> PS2: I got some other errors with ppp when it runs with a normal
> user. But It's less important, it's just permissions problems.

The problem is that you need to be able to get a the control port to
the pfinet server.  This can only be done by either root or the owner
of /servers/socket/2, which is by default, root.