Re: um-ppp installation

On 22-Nov-2001 Neal H Walfield wrote:
>> I've try with other labels than 'ondemand' and with other devices
>> (original /dev/cuaa1 -> /dev/ttyS0, /dev/tty00, /dev/tty01)
>> but I always got the same errors.
>
> Try /dev/com0.

Thanks, that works

>> So, can I connect my GNU/Hurd box to the net with an ISP ?
>
> Connecting should not be a problem.  However, once you have connected
> you will run into a bug (which I suspect is in the tunnel device) and
> large data (> 64k) transfers will block.

so, I'm using my GNU/Linux connection to fetch .deb packages.

>> Is there a simple way to test if my modem is working ?
>
> There are the AT commands which you can issue via, e.g. minicom.

That works!

>> PS1: Like I don't find docs on this subjet (only messages), I'll
>> very happy to make one or include one in a FAQ. (But I have to
>> understand what to do)
>
> One of the problems is that I do not have a modem and have never
> actually tested this part of the code -- I normally test using ppp
> over a serial cable between two computers.  So, I think it is pretty
> evident why I am not the best ppp maintainer.

poorly, I can help for this part, I don't know how ppp is working...
but I think it's a good thing if we can run it with an unprivileged user.

regards,

--
philippe brochard <phil.brochard@free.fr>
http://hocwp.free.fr