Re: Using apt-get with a PPP connection

    LP> I'm interested in any simpler method. This one requires to boot
    LP> on Linux first and reboot again on the Hurd.

If you can't access the network from the Hurd, I doubt you can upgrade
from network without rebooting to another system. :-)

    LP> First, I download packages in my user account on a Debian
    LP> GNU/Linux install (see apt config below). Before running apt-get
    LP> I copy the var/dpkg/status of the Hurd to my user account.

I use a very similar method.  However, I don't do any copying, I simply
mount my Hurd partition on /mnt/gnu and use the following apt.conf on
GNU/Linux for downloading the Hurd packages:

    Architecture "hurd-i386";
       Download-Only "true";
  Dir "/mnt/gnu/"
    State "var/lib/apt"
       status "/mnt/gnu/var/lib/dpkg/status";
       methods "/usr/lib/apt/methods/";
       gzip "/bin/gzip";
       dpkg "/usr/bin/dpkg";
       dpkg-source "/usr/bin/dpkg-source";
       dpkg-buildpackage "/usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage";
       apt-get "/usr/bin/apt-get";
       apt-cache "/usr/bin/apt-cache";

In theory, you could use apt with the default apt.conf on the Hurd to
install the downloaded packages instead of installing them "manually"
via dpkg.  But IIRC last time I checked I couldn't run apt on the Hurd.

Milan Zamazal

It's amazing how much better you feel once you've given up hope.
                                                (unknown source)