X on hurd: no kbd support in MAKEDEV

I am trying to get X running on hurd, however, when I go through
things break when doing

 # ./MAKEDEV kbd
 ./MAKEDEV: kbd: Unknown device name

and indeed, startx gives me

 Cannot open keyboard (No such file or directory)

MAKEDEV is from the hurd 20011016-1 debian package.  I know this package
once included /hurd/kbd.  It no longer does, the changelog.Debian says
nothing about this (it just says:

  * Additional patches:
    kbd, mouse as usual.

Was kbd thrown out by mistake?  Is there some workaround?

Es ist nicht notwendig, dasz du aus dem Haus gehst.  Bleib bei
deinem Tisch und horche.
                                                        Franz Kafka