Re: Help: install problem

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 08:34:13AM +0800, scheme wrote:
> Yes. I tried to boot manually with a sequence of commands:
> root=(hd1,5)
> kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s6 -s
> module=/boot/serverboot.gz
> boot

Looks fine to me, except you don't need the first equals sign (=)
in each line:

root (hd1,5)
kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd1s6 -s
module /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

Not that this matters.  It should work both ways.

> Each step got the appropriate response except the last one, which died
> (I suppose) after printing messages about my partitions, ports, ethernet
> cards, and so on. This is the same if I edit the menu and hit boot.

OK

> >> hd14: bad access: block=28, count=2, blockend=30, nr_sects2
> >> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:44, sector 28
> >> Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd1s6] exec
> >
> > You can safely ignore this message.  It appears to happen all the time
> > and should not prevent you from booting.  Look elsewhere for the real
> > problem.
> >
> I can't. The  boot procedure stops there and I don't have a command
> prompt for running anything useful.

The reason I mention it is I get this message all the time, and so do
others I have compared notes with, and the system still boots.  So I'm
not entirely convinced the error is a direct result of whatever problem
you are experiencing with finishing the boot.

Did you, by any chance, make a partition too large (larger than 1G), or
attempt to unpack the tarball across more than one partition?  I tried
the latter on one of my early attempts at an install and ended up with
an unbootable system much as you did ... it would go through all the
boot messages fine (including the above error) and then choke after
that, because the additional partitions with all the other files on them
were missing.

Ben