Re: CD policy needed.

Avery Pennarun writes:
[snip]
 > silo (and even lilo) could easily be a victim of popularity-contest though:
 > you don't really run their binaries that much.  Once the install the boot
 > sector, you're set unless you upgrade your kernel.  So don't trust them too
 > much.  (I think it would still be enough to differentiate between, say, lilo
 > and grub, since they both have the same handicap.)
[snip]

Hi,

Grub has an even bigger handicap, since it groks filesystems, ie,
grub uses late binding to find the location of the kernel, while
lilo uses early binding.

In other words, for a "typical" installation, grub does not need
to be re-run when the kernel is upgraded.

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>