Re: New packages gnumach, hurd, glibc

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Yes, there is no promise on our side to make sure the dependencies
> are sane.  I really don't think we should even make an attempt to
> provide a sane upgrade path.

I beg to differ.

> The reasons are that we have not released anything yet, the userbase
> is quite small,

I consider Debian unstable an alpha release, and fully expect
upgradability for the packages therein. Debian packages that
would/could not make these guarantees are usually put into
experimental, no?

Keep in mind that there are already a number of people with CDs out
there.

> and we will definitely break the libc ABI completely anyway when we
> do the switch from stdio to libio (and/or to pthreads). Then we will
> have to recompile the whole archive, and any such clues become
> obsolete.

Couldn't we just change the package name? Every package using libc
depends on libc0.2.

> Another reason is that this is really a bug in the Hurd package,
> and I have a dislike against work arounds for bugs in a package to
> be in other, unrelated packages.

If you use "Conflicts", that header is almost always a work around for
other package's bugs.

I'm content with your notice, BTW -- I just wanted the reasons. I've
also filed a glibc bug, since it already has a (wrong) dependency on
hurd.

> I have a random translator, which I can include in the package.  We just
> need to find a way to get good randomness.  If someone could make a port
> of egd to the Hurd, which is started at bootstrap and copies good entropy
> to /dev/random, this would be all that is needed.

Shouldn't the egd port simply act as a translator?

--
Robbe