Re: forwarded message from mouring@etoh.eviladmin.org

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> It is our goal to improve the portability of your ssh.  If you share this
> goal, please help us by letting us know how we can achieve it.

Thanks for jumping in with the politicking. I meant to wrangle this
with upstream, but after spending non-negligable efforts with the
hacking itself, I didn't have motivation left for this.

<rant>
So it's not only the authors of Debian tools holding on to a
non-portable mindset. Maybe this is a downside of the advent of free
unices. "Hey, I don't need to be compatible with your OS, it works
wonderfully under My Free Unix. Why don't you just download MFU and
install it, too?"

I recognize the fact that portability is always a trade-off. I'd just
like maintainers put their cards on the table. What I don't like is
"kill(file) the messenger" attitude that attributes their portability
problems/design decisions to the OSs that are not compatible with the
assumptions.

--
Robbe