Re: [JOB] mailx

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 06:29:54AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:27:01PM -0700, Known Human Nick Rusnov wrote:
> > In message <[🔎] 20010719203356.G126@212.23.136.22>it was written:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >mailx depends on MAXPATHLEN heavily.
> >
> > I'm looking at this. It seems a bit silly, though, to make the string
> > handling for the strings that use MAXPATHLEN dynamic when it uses non-dynamic strings
> > all over the place.
>
> If everything is fixed, it might be feasible to allocate fixed strings based
> on the length of the other fixed strings.
>
> I haven't looked at the code.  Not always is the best approach to use
> malloc/realloc/free.

The mail(x) in GNU mailutils doesn't use MAXPATHLEN at all (none of mailutils
does). It is still in CVS only, and I don't know if anyone has tested it on
the Hurd yet. However, Jeff Bailey has been working on it with us from the
start and I think he was working on Debianizing it at one point. Of course,
he is offline right now, so if someone else could test it (I don't presently
have access to a Hurd box) and let me know if it seems to work, that would
be great. It's on Savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/mailutils/).

BTW, in addition to mail, mailutils includes implementations of frm, from,
imap4d, pop3d, and sieve, all based on a shared libmailutils, our (IMHO) much
better version of what c-client should have been. The library also has Guile
bindings, and supports mbox, POP3, and IMAP4 mailboxes currently (yes, our
mailx works with remote protocols :).

-- sparky