Re[4]: Anyone has read the FSF Usenix speech ?

Hello Philip, Gabrial and All!

PC> I may not be much of a business person, but I do know a little about this
PC> kind of thing.

PC> 1.  The best results are obtained by cooperation.  In this case do not
PC> compete against GNU/Linux, cooperate.
This is in progress, but only on half:
There is a porting Linux2Hurd which makes Hurd more usual to Linux
users/developers. So, Hurd developers helps to Linuxoids.
But how many Linux developers helps Hurd standing more perfect and
stable? Most of them just don't know enough about Hurd to have a wish
of helping.

PC> 2.  Let people chose and make up their own minds.
Yeah, of course. But I can't get my choice between what I know and
what I didn't heard about. ;)

PC> 3.  Make certain that the product or service you are offering is of good
PC> quality.
That's true for comercial products. But Hurd isn't one.
I suggest to welcome developers at now, not users!
Hurd now is more a great idea of OS than a complete product that will
be popular to all in nearest future. It's need to show this IDEA, not
just things realized at now.
I believe, many developers are ready to work for such IDEA. For their
own future. For new features.

PC> 4.  Let people know that it is available.
There are different peoples.
Users wants to have stable and powerfull system.
Application programmers wants to have powerfull developing enveronment
and again, stable and powerfull system. But some of them are ready to
work for getting all of it.
Some programmers wants to take a part in developing of SYSTEM.

When Hurd will be known as a product, many such peoples will come with
their own ideas. They will come with ways to get system better.
But we need such ideas right now, in developing process.
It will be too late to change some parts when we will have complete
system.
So, now there is a need Hurd to be well-known as an IDEA.
Especially well-known to developers. Especially to system programmers.

But some brave users can help too, by studying system and show their
needs and ideas to developers.

Gabriel said:
> "We need a stable system before we can be in the spotlight,
> otherwise people will say "why go with the HURD? it doesn't work
> well""

I agree. But I mean Hurd can be in the spotlight as an IDEA that is
very interest to developers at now, not as a product that will be
interest to users in future.

Gabriel said:
> Debian is (mainly) the stable distribution (OK, and the
> community). Once the HURD is part of the stable distribution it will
> be there (and it will be a very important advantage for Debian, having
> multiple systems with the same administration).

Yes, it will be important advantage for Debian in future.
But RIGHT NOW Hurd needs Debian community.

Maybe I'm wrong, but there are the difficulies to take information
about Hurd for peoples who know less about it.
Some time ago I searched for a long time just to know is Hurd project
live yet? :(((
Many links I saw was old. All the news ends on 1999 year.

How can You get new peoples who even WANTS to help the project if Hurd
have such informational support?

I understand, people who know about Hurd can do some work and find
information about it. But others will never know.
So, Hurd is a real underground for most of developers (and peoples at
all) even if they interests of such project.

IMHO very bad situation. :(
--
Best regards,
 dim                            mailto:dimsmol@yahoo.com