Re: Re[2]: Anyone has read the FSF Usenix speech ?

I may not be much of a business person, but I do know a little about this
kind of thing.

1.  The best results are obtained by cooperation.  In this case do not
compete against GNU/Linux, cooperate.

2.  Let people chose and make up their own minds.

3.  Make certain that the product or service you are offering is of good
quality.

4.  Let people know that it is available.

In our case, the quality is in the Hurd's potential which is something
that will attract developers.  The hook for the kind of developers we need
at this stage of the Hurd's development is the challenge to turn something
with potential into reality.  How do we publicise this?

When there is a stable release then there will be an additional group who
we will want to attract, those who are attracted by the special features
of the Hurd and who want to use these in their applications.
(We are probably between these two stages).

Right now I feel like quitting installation CDs and becoming a publicist
;).

Phil.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, first last wrote:

>  --- dim <dimsmol@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello Marcus!
> >
> > Tuesday, July 10, 2001, 5:15:30 AM, you wrote:
> >
> > MB> True, most people in GNU are focussing on
> > GNU/Linux rather than the Hurd
> > MB> right now.  This makes perfectly sense, as Linux
> > receives a lot of attention
> > MB> from everywhere.  It certainly will stay this
> > way for the near future.
> > MB> One reason why we don't get the attention we
> > feel we deserve is certainly
> > MB> that we don't do a good job at marketing the
> > Hurd.  But then, we also need more
> > MB> documentation and more people trained at the
> > Hurd's design before inviting people

Cut.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org