Re: unowned processes and who controls them (was: Re: passwd entry for uid -1

> > I don't know. I would expect the code to create a socket and bind it
> > to port 20 to be isolated to one or two functions, but I haven't read
> > nor written any real ftp daemon.
>
> That would be correct.  But in the general ftp daemon, you _might_ also
> need to be able to setuid() to some user (to provide logins), and to
> chroot (which is not a privileged operation for the hurd anyway).  If
> you want to provide logins, you also need read access to /etc/shadow to
> be able to verify peoples passwords.

Just because you have no uids does not mean you cannot run addauth.
And since a user is trying to login in as a specific user, you provide
that password to the addauth prompt.  Therefore, you can run with no
uids and switch to other users without reading /etc/shadow.