Re: interesting ORBit behavior

> Interestingly enough, when you first compile the test program (which reads
> a number from random,org's corba interface and prints it out), exactly
> every other time it dies, saying only 'Killed'. I suspect it never gets into
> main, somehow, because I interleved all the CORBA statements with puts, and
> none of them are reached (I made the io unbuffered afaik, so it should print
> out at least the first few statements before dying).
>
> Things get interesting when you run it under gdb, it works every time. After
> you exit gdb it appears to run every time also.

How exciting! :-) At least it sounds like it is a consistent pattern so you
can readily make it crash again.  Can you also try ldd on your binary and
see if that works consistently or has any correlation to the crashes you
see?

Your test program doesn't print anything immediately on entry to main.  You
should certainly do that.  I don't know what all happens in
"CORBA_exception_init", but that may well be where it's crashing.  If it
always makes it into main, then it is probably not a generic dynamic linker
problem (which is often a suspect for this kind of crash).  Also try
setting LD_BIND_NOW=1 in the environment and see if that changes the behavior.

> It runs every time under rpctrace, but doesn't actually make the CORBA call
> (it ruturns 0).

I'm not sure precisely what you mean here (what's returning 0?).
But let's investigate this, even if it's an unrelated problem in rpctrace.
rpctrace certainly ought not change the behavior of the traced program.