Re: newbie wants to try the hurd

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Christian Heinze wrote:

> I am running linux on my pc for about 1.5 years now, but I read that the
> hurd is something better. So I would like to try it, can anybody tell me where
> to find a good Howto or something to make it run on a Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r3
> system.

Try to check the webpages for Debian/Hurd on http://ww.debian.org/ and
look under 'ports'. There you'll find a page with some links and docs on
how to get started.

Basically you need a small partition, a tarball of the rootsystem(to put
in the partition) and the kernel and then you'll need to install GRUB so
you can boot it.

Install GRUB and check the webpage. It is still very much in development
but try it out, we always needs more people trying it out and making more
packages compile. Return back here and join the happy gang. :)

/Andreas

			mail: ante@update.uu.se
		  	or try: Koraq@yahoo.com
groove out: http://www.update.uu.se/~ante/