RE: Success with Hurd XFree86 - Notes

could you send me the url for the mouse message below and I'll get it
published with the xwindows info at hurd.gnu.org

Thx
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: doug@mx9-rwc.mail.home.com [mailto:doug@mx9-rwc.mail.home.com]On
Behalf Of B. Douglas Hilton
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 3:26 PM
To: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Success with Hurd XFree86 - Notes

I finally got my X11 working in Hurd today, after tinkering
with the kbd and mouse translators. It appears to run fine,
other than the weird effect of the console text becoming
progressively darker upon each shutdown of X.

I noticed that update-menus crashes with Signal 13 when
used with the Blackbox WM.

For an experiment I tried running the Python browser
Grail-0.6 although it crashes while initializing with
a segmentation fault.

I would install the emacs web browser except there is
currently no way to install Emacs. The versions are all
different and won't meet dependency requirements. This
is true for both Emacs and XEmacs.

Also, I dug this out of the mailing list archives, but maybe
it should be added to the Hurd FAQ

--- <snip> ---

Q. How do I set up my PS/2 mouse with XFree86

A. First start the translator like this:

   settrans -cg /dev/mouse
   chown root /dev/mouse
   chmod 444 /dev/mouse
   settrans /dev/mouse /hurd/mouse --protocol=ps/2

   Then edit the Pointer section of /etc/X11/XF86Config

   Section "Pointer"
      Protocol "osmouse"
      Device   "/dev/mouse"
   EndSection