Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:00:22PM +0200, Andreas L. Gustafsson wrote:
> > > First step is to port the Debian package of rpm and check if cpio and alien
> > > do work on the Hurd (they should).
> >
> > Port the Debian package of rpm? Wouldn't just compile rpm from sources and
> > making that work be the most portable way?
>
> This has nothing to do with portability, but compiling the Debian package of
> rpm is a way to get a usable rpm while also contributing to Debian GNU/Hurd.
>
> And this is the Debian GNU/Hurd mailing list, right?

Right. But I am not sure I understand what you mean. Compiling the src deb
of rpm, while running a Hurd system? Or somehow producing a usable rpm
Debian package for using under the Hurd? OK, I guess that is possible,
somehow...

> > Or am I missing something
> > important now?
>
> I don't know, but the purpose of the mailing list is to discuss the
> development of Debian GNU/Hurd, and our mission is to provide a Debian
> GNU/Hurd binary distribution.

Right. To conquer the world, GNU style.

> > BTW, I don't think I've ever heard of 'alien' what is that?
>
> It is a program to convert debs, tars, rpms into each other.
> This way you could convert the whole Debian distribution into
> rpm format, and we could convert zour rpms into debs.

Real smart. I think I'll check that out. Thanks.

/Andreas