Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:00:22PM +0200, Andreas L. Gustafsson wrote:
> > First step is to port the Debian package of rpm and check if cpio and alien
> > do work on the Hurd (they should).
>
> Port the Debian package of rpm? Wouldn't just compile rpm from sources and
> making that work be the most portable way?

This has nothing to do with portability, but compiling the Debian package of
rpm is a way to get a usable rpm while also contributing to Debian GNU/Hurd.

And this is the Debian GNU/Hurd mailing list, right?

> Or am I missing something
> important now?

I don't know, but the purpose of the mailing list is to discuss the
development of Debian GNU/Hurd, and our mission is to provide a Debian
GNU/Hurd binary distribution.

> BTW, I don't think I've ever heard of 'alien' what is that?

It is a program to convert debs, tars, rpms into each other.
This way you could convert the whole Debian distribution into
rpm format, and we could convert zour rpms into debs.