Plex86 and Kernel Debugging

Hi,

I'm doing some work on getting the Hurd to boot using plex86. I've
succeeded in learning how to build and partition an image file, install
hurd to it, and install GRUB to it. I'll send the details shortly.

Plex will boot through GRUB, but is currently failing near the beginning
of the boot process. I think I recall someone saying it was failing in
fpu_init or something like that. I'd like to debug it, but kernel
debugging is new to me.

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty kernel debugging tutorial, or point
me to information on how to use gdb for kernel debugging?

--Ian