Re: Yaay! I compiled oskit-mach, except it doesn't work :-(

Hello!

I did another test boot and copied down the error messages.
Here they are:

... skipping GRUB stuff

Welcome to GNUmach 1.2.91-OSKit!
user trap, type 2, code = 14295c
Dump of trap-state at 0x0d6d7e80:
EAX 0000000e EBX 0000001 ECX 0dadc000 EDX 0dadc000
ESI 20584145 EDI 0d6d7eb4 EBP 30303030 ESP 00303030
EIP 3733 EFLAGS 30332050
CS 3733 SS 3033 DS fff8 ES 0000 FS 7f6c GS 025a
trapno 540028976, error 37205346, from user mode
trap
Backtrace: fp = d6d7f68
 001fffba 0013ac4c 0013d23c 0012c4c5 3431203dthread_dispatch
Backtrace: fp = d6d9f48
 001fffba 001174d4 0011733f
_exit(1) called; rebooting...
Press a key to reboot

Ok lets see, here is some hardware info:

MB: Tyan Thunder 100 S1836DLUAN/GX
CPU: Dual Pentium II 450 MHz
Chipset: Intel 440GX
RAM: 192 Mb
Video: GeForce2 MX on AGP, IRQ 10
BT848A: IRQ 9
Intel EtherExpress/100: IRQ 9
Tekram D-390F SCSI: IRQ 11
PS/2 Mouse: IRQ 12
FPU: IRQ 13
1st IDE: 1RQ 14
2nd IDE: IRQ 15
Sound: Soundblaster 16 at IRQ 5

BIOS: Using Intel MPS 1.4

Could it be that OSKit-mach is trying  to go SMP and
is failing? I didn't do anything special when compiling
OSKit or OSKit-mach. I didn't give any --enable-console
or any such thing.

Roland McGrath wrote:

> > But it compiled with no warnings ( native Hurd compile ).
> >
> > Initially it failed, MiG wanted to use i386-gnu-gcc
>
> If you set the CC environment variable when running mig, it will use that.
> e.g.,
>
> MIG = CC='${CC}' mig

Ok, I'll try that from now on. Thanks!

> > it got about 10 lines into the boot and halted
> > with some technical looking debugging errors.
>
> We're the technical debugging types here, so we need to see those errors.

See above.

> > Ok, maybe I shouldn't strip it... I try this:
> >
> > # cd /boot
> > # cp /src/oskit-mach/build/kernel .
> > # gzip -9 kernel
> > # reboot
> >
> > Now after GRUBbing it, it prints about
> > four lines and then reboots! Hmm... something
> > is wrong.
>
> Stripping should not make a difference, but of course any bug is possible.
> The best advice I have is to use a serial console, so that you can record
> the complete output when it reboots suddenly.  The oskit's panic code is
> supposed to pause for a keypress before rebooting, so this must be
> something that induced a hardware or firmware reset.

How do I do that? I have a VT220 dumb terminal on COM2 at 38400 baud.
What do I need to do to enable it?

I'm rather mystified about how exactly OSKit-mach boots. Does it
just automagically try and detect all hardware at boot-time, or are there
some boot switches that need used? Is there any documentation about
such as this in the source?

Take it easy!
- Doug