Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

On 1 Apr 2001, Brian May wrote:

> Sorry, obviously I didn't make this obvious. I was getting carried
> away with the more advanced examples (to make sure everything required
> was possible), but forgot some of the simpler cases.
>
> Anyway, this is what the "Depends: " field is for. It requires a shift
> in thinking from the conventional thinking. For example:
>
> ---
>
> typical binary package that can only be installed on Linux (eg
> kernel-image, assuming it can't be cross compiled).
>
> 1. build-for:     %hwarch, os-linux
> 2. build-depends: %hwarch, os-linux
> 3. depends:       ${hwarch}, os-linux
>
> 1. can compiled for every hwarch (except ia86) but only on linux
> 2. can be compiled on the same hwarch but only on linux
> 3. output depends on current ${hwarch} at compile time; output
> always depends on Linux.
>
> ---
>
> typical shell script package that can only be installed on Linux (eg
> makedev).
>
> 1. build-for:     os-linux
> 2. build-depends:
> 3. depends:       os-linux
>
> 1. can compiled once but only for Linux
> 2. build can occur anywhere.
> 3. output depends only on Linux.
>
> ---
>
> (note: in both examples os-linux could be substituted at compile time
> same as ${hwarch}, however I didn't see the point of doing so here).
>

> I have added these examples to my proposal.

I am assuming that this information will be used in the building of the
Packages files for the archs and os's, and they certainly need to use
more information to enable the files to be accurate.

I can see a grey area, could <--> should.

Example.  kernel.doc _could_ be installed on a Hurd system as there is no
technical reason preventing this.  However, I decided that it _should_ not
be installed as imo it has nothing to do with the Hurd.

So kernel.doc needs to be identified so that,
1.  It is not included in the Hurd Packages file.
2.  If someone wanted to install it on a Hurd system dpkg/apt would not
object.

Life would be so much easier for me if this was in place.  It would also
open the door for scripts to be written to maintain a Hurd only archive.
Fortunately for me I keep a complete i386 mirror from which I can extract
a Hurd sub-set.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - prefered.           philipc@debian.org