Re: Stupid FAQ? Was - Re: Hurd F1 CDs

Stuart Krivis <stuart@krivis.com> writes:

> Are we nearing the point where I could actually install from a CD
> image and run Hurd as my workstation?

Depends.

* The Hurd still crashes more often than the typical development
  version of Linux.

* A lot of software is not yet ported. So look up the software you
  absolutely need, first (e.g. in
  <URL:http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/Packages.gz>)

So, as a workstation, the Hurd is probably not ready (I don't think any
of the developers here use it as one, at the moment). As a secondary
computer where you experiment with the Hurd, and where nothing great
can be lost to a crash, it can be quite fine.

--
Robbe