Re: Hurd F1 CDs

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > This is probably me.  The cdrom can be mounted with settrans /cdrom
> > /hurd/isofs /dev/hd2 and I have managed to umount is by using settrans
> > -fg /cdrom followed by settrans -fg /dev/hd2, but I cannot remount it,
> > the error is bad superblock.  Any ideas?  Apt-cdrom cannot mount it
> > either.  So we are stuck with dselect for F1 at least.
>
> That second command is clearing the passive translator setting on /dev/hd2.
> So after that you need to reset it (i.e. what MAKEDEV hd2 does).  You
> should use settrans -fga to clear the active translator (aka unmount)
> without changing the permanent setting on disk.

Did yahi (Yet Another Hurd Install) and this worked fine.  BUT settrans -g
/dev/hd2 had to be used to enable the cdrom drive to open.  The clumsy fix
was to recreate /dev/hd2 before remounting the CD.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - prefered.           philipc@debian.org