Compiling apt-0.5.3 on the Hurd

  I was trying to compile the latest apt and ran into some serious
problems.  It looks like apt is trying to build a library called libstdc++,
and failing to build apt-pkg (I think maybe somehow apt-pkg is being named
incorrectly)  Unfortunately, the Makefiles are incredibly illegible and I
can't figure out where this could be coming from.  Wichert said on IRC that
he thought it might be from an old g++ or libc, but I don't think that's
the case (I seem to have as recent a version as possible of both..at least
of g++)

  Does anyone here have any idea what could be causing this?  I've attached
the log of my attempt to build this package, gzipped.  If no Hurd guru
spots a simple Hurd-specific problem here, I'll file a bug against apt with the
build log attached and see if Jason can straighten this out.  He wrote the
build system, hopefully he can understand it :)

   Thanks,
  Daniel

|                  "You mean, you'll drop your rock and                       |
|                   I'll drop my sword and we'll just try to                  |
|                   kill one another like civilized people?"                  |
|                    -- "The Princess Bride"                                  |
\-------- Real Programmers don't have braces. -- http://www.python.org -------/