X4: the saga continues

Hello again more whining about X4 on Hurd follows :)

Well, I totally resinstalled my system: did a reformat (because I was
having those inodes problems also), installed new tarball, updated,
installed many packages, in the end an up-to-date system with no
broken dpes; deepest congrats to all whom made this happen, it's the
most featureful and stable system yet.

So, problems: I had a 'Bus Error' terminate dpkg when I was installing
many packages at one that were on my disk; I did them by groups and it
worked.

X4: well, installed the XFree86 server, xbase-clients, etc. Exported
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib; added /usr/X11R6/bin to PATH;
/usr/bin/X was a binary and /etc/X11/lib/X was link to an obscure X
server, symlinked /etc/X11/lib/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/X and this one to
the XFree86 server; before I did this I would get a continous error
message containing 'nice(): process does not exist'.
Set the mouse translator... but I can't get pass this one: when I
start X (either with startx, xinit or even X or XFree86) it begins OK,
the custom messages, everything being loaded.Then my screen changes
resolution, great, but then t returns to the console ans stays there,
letting me contemplate a screen with the X messages ending in a
'(--)Default resolution xxxx pixmap is 24 pixels' ors something like
that.

I notice that everty pty under /dev appears listes in a 'ps aux', so
there are about 20 /hurd/term running.

I'm running out of ideas; BTW, this is more or less what used to
happen when I compiled X from source after apllyting Marcus patch to
it, it would blink and then return to the console (but then it would
add to it changing the conlor of the backgroung of the console to
green).

Any ideas on what' did I did wrong, or ways to find out and help
debuggin are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

fsm

--