Re: X4: the saga continues

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 05:19:16AM +0000, Frederico S. Mu?oz wrote:
> Hello again more whining about X4 on Hurd follows :)
(...)
> message containing 'nice(): process does not exist'.
> Set the mouse translator... but I can't get pass this one: when I
> start X (either with startx, xinit or even X or XFree86) it begins OK,
> the custom messages, everything being loaded.Then my screen changes
> resolution, great, but then t returns to the console ans stays there,
> letting me contemplate a screen with the X messages ending in a
> '(--)Default resolution xxxx pixmap is 24 pixels' ors something like
> that.

Well, you didn't provide any usefull information, as the complete log
of the X boot sequence... if you had tried 'startx $1&> log' before
whinning you would see that:

* an apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't install all needed X packages, such
as the fonts... so X would probably stop on 'couldn't download default
font: fixed'.

* The other problem could be with the mouse; read the mouse translator
instrucions again... hist: a settrans -c works a lot better than a
'touch mouse' followed by a settrans.

> I notice that everty pty under /dev appears listes in a 'ps aux', so
> there are about 20 /hurd/term running.

And it stoped after this two fixes.

:)

So, I have X finally. Just can't make my serial mouseman mouse work,
and the ps2 now gives me some problems, but that's a minor issue. All
works great.

Best Regards,

fsm

--