Re: compiling packages

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> The list above is the list I am already caring about a lot.

Sure, my response was more to the first sentence "there is no strict
policy" when indeed there's some semi-normative recipe in the DebDevRef.

I'm all for announcing intentions to this list!

> You can help everyone by submitting the bug you discover when testing it,
> and avoid uploading such broken packages.

Sure, *if* you discover it. But I don't think it is reasonable to
request that when someone ports a package depending on lots of
libraries, that s/he should test every aspect of every recompiled
library, especially if the facilities to test these are rather sparse.
I'm content if the package itself sees basic testing.

> (What you describe works for the current Linux ports, and it will work for
> us when we have catched up and have more eye-balls on the ftp archive.
> Currently, where I have to put a lot of energy to get and keep the ftp
> archive at least a bit consistent and usable, it doesn't.)

I'm talking about completely optional stuff like, say, gimp. Is it
more work for you if we have a somewhat broken gimp package rather
than none?

> [...] and I actually doubt it will work for you either except in the
> simplest of the cases.

I trust you on that. I believe, though, that about 4500 simple cases
exist. X is of course not one of these, partly due to the complexity
of the software, partly due to the complexity of its maintainer's ego.

I will now shut up until I have done some NMUs.
--
Robbe