Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

    Marcus> I actually have a longer reply for you, but it is not
    Marcus> finished yet, sorry.  Just don't rush it. Mine and Gordons

Ok, I will wait for you longer reply.

    Marcus> proposal would require some careful thought to get working
    Marcus> because of interesting design issues. But the all-* any-*
    Marcus> hack (which is all we can hope for currently) requires
    Marcus> some careful thought because we must have a smooth
    Marcus> transition and remain backward compatible, and many tools
    Marcus> have to be changed in different locations.  That's because
    Marcus> the Architecture notion in Debian was never designed, it
    Marcus> evolved in arbitrary directions out of the need to get
    Marcus> something working quickly. It's quite simplistic.

I was thinking however there are two major differences since
the last proposals that I have read:

1. build-depends: in now standard.
2. some people have expressed desire to support cross compiling.

So, I have designed a system which supports build-depends, and allows
packages to specify if cross compiling (meaning different hwarch, or
different OS, or both) is OK or not. However, I need to think about it
a bit more before posting it here.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>