Re: Not so silly question about the name of the Hurd

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 06:16:51PM +0000, Dan Sheppard wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann writes:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:58:59AM -0800, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > Can you at least tell us the preferred form for English?
> >
> > "the Hurd" is the correct form.
> >
> > Marcus
>
> Should it follow the gender of the word for "herd" in the language?

I will check with the linguistic research group of the university in Bochum
what is the best article to use for foreign words like "Hurd".
I think it is a bit far off. In all my german articles and talks on the
Hurd, I am not using any article, also because of the gender issue. It's
just "Hurd" as far as my German is concerned, or "das Hurd System" oder "ein
Hurd System", where the expansion by "system" works around the issue.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de