Re: dpkg-shlibdeps and /usr/lib, other dpkg stuff

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:32:44AM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > The issue is that it now uses ldd again to find out not only the name but
> > also the location of the libraries used by the binary. Because ldd finds
> > them all under /lib in the Hurd, dpkg-shlibdeps won't be able to find them
> > via dpkg -S, when they are installed under /usr/lib.
>
> Actually, objdump is still used to produce the list of immediate
> dependencies [ldd will also list indirect dependencies]. As this list
> does not include paths, "ldconfig -p" output is used to find them.
> This will fail on the Hurd.

Thanks for the exact information.

> > 1. Don't use ldd on the Hurd at all. It's not needed. Just using objdump as
> > it was done in a short period before ldd was used again worked fine. The
> > reason to use ldd on linux doesn't apply for us (it was a libc5
> > compatibility thing).
>
> ... should probably be: Don't use ldconfig on the Hurd - assume that
> all libraries reside under /lib.
>
> Should this work? In any case, it's not very clean.

Well, not all libraries are in /lib, for example X libs aren't. When we use
runpath, more libs might not be in standard places, but then we will have
the path inthe binary, so it will be easy.

> The whole issue is symptom of the assumption that the dpkg file
> database will hold the one and only location of a particular file.

[...]

Wichert says he rewrites dpkg-shlibdeps with this in mind, let's see what
comes out of it.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de