Re: libc6?!!!

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 09:35:30PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> In GNU/Hurd the names are "libc0.2" and "libc0.2-dev". Therefore
> libstdc++2.10-dev should be modified so that its hurd-i386 version
> depends on "libc0.2-dev", not libc6-dev.

Well, it could, but there should be no need to do so. libc0.2-dev provides
libc6-dev, so that we can avoid changing a lot of development packages.

The broader problem is that dpkg doesn't cope with versioned dependencies on
provided packages. Why it is so hard to fix that I don't know, but I was
told that Ben Collins is working on that (for several months now).

There are several places where dpkg fails here with the Hurd archive, not
only libstdc++2.10-dev.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de