Update...

I somehow got this idea into my head that if I wanted to properly track
down the problem with pfinet, I should probably finish learning how the
mach interface and threading system works (I've only used pthreads).  I
now have a couple thoughts/questions:

1) mig looks for the wrong compiler.  I filed a bug against this.  It
also doesn't have a build-depends line - so I didn't file that it should
have 'flex' added to the list.

2) My first glances at cthreads don't show much of a difference from
pthreads.  Would it be really bad to provide a shim to provide most of
the common functions of pthreads simply as a wrapper to cthreads?  It
looks like it might be only 4 or 5 hours of work to get right (using the
linuxthreads headerfiles).  We could always #error out any functions too
difficult to implement and maybe solve some of our porting difficulties.

I saw some user-space implementations of cthreads on top of pthreads that
could proably provide some information.

3) Apparently we do some things differently with mig than the CMU folks
did. =) I'm trying to write a simple client server type of thing that can
do two things:

 o Request a single int from the server (probably the result of i++ or
something like that)
 o Send a request to shutdown.

When I have figured this out, I will post it on the Hurd web site for
anyone to look at.

4) When I was having some trouble, I decided to try running my code
through g++ instead of gcc.  I do this because sometimes I get better
error reporting out of g++.  This eventually led me to try and compile a
new dpkg.  Native gcc reports itself as i386-unknown-gnu0.2, which isn't
in the archtable.  Should I report this as a bug?  I don't want to step on
any political toes (I'll wait until my Debian application is approved for
that... <Grin>)

That, and I learned to make Sushi this evening..  But that's probably for
a different list. =)

Bed time.

--
Anyone who sais "Sticks and stones may break my bones but
words will never hurt me" has never had a dictionary thrown