Pitfalls & future development & stuff

Hi there

I've just started designing a sequencer for GNU/Linux and X and,
obviously, I'll want to port it to GNU/Hurd when the HURD becomes more
stable.  So, what I'm after is anything that I should be thinking about
now that will make things easier later on.  The program core is what I'm
thinking about; all of the audio functionality will be in plugins.  The
core will have threads, plugins (I'm thinking through glib's gmodule
thingy) and a Gnome UI.

Obviously, the main concerns are with threads and plugins.  I'm also not
sure how many threads are really practical for a program.  If possible,
I'd like to have a thread for each plugin, at each point that it's used
along the journey between a track and a soundcard.  That may mean having
5 threads per track, which if you have 20 tracks is 100 threads for the
plugins (with only two other threads for the core and the UI.)  That
seems, like, excessive to me.. anyone tell me what they think, without
special regard for the HURD?

More generally, though, what should I be doing/not doing if I want
threads and glib gmodules in my program?

Also, does anybody know of any plugin interface thingies other that glib
gmodule?  Any specifically for C++?

Many thanks,

Bob Ham

--
Bob Ham:  node@users.sourceforge.net  http://pkl.net/~node/
IRC: 'node' on irc.openprojects.net: #slashdot  ICQ: 4396425 'node'

"The GNU philosophy is about freedom. To be free one must have
personal power. Personal power is an individual thing, difficult to
obtain and quick to perish." --Krisno Pryosusilo