Re: trouble starting X(NO MORE)

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 03:25:06AM +0200, Petros Sidiropoulos wrote:
> Hello all........
>
> >>Not that I've ever run X in Hurd, but my guess would be that you need
> >>to run xfs, the X font server.
> That's it.
>
> YESsss..., i did it, ;-) the X system started and a pure environment appear
> on the screen with something called Icon Manager
> (I can't figure out what it is), I 'd like to have something more useful
> like an xterminal or xeditor on my desktop:: how this
> could be done? only I have to install apps or something else??
>
> In order to start X I had to install packages like xfs which is not
> described in older messages about installing X.

The "problem" with X is that you can either install the fonts or run th
fontserver or both. I forgot why xserver-common doesn't depend on
xfs|xfonts-base, but at least it suggests xfonts-base.

Installing xfonts-base and xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-shareable is recommended
(or, if you get your fonts over the network, installing and running xfs is a
good alternative).

In anyway, that's a Debian question and not specific to the Hurd. You will
find the same question in the debian-user archive a couple of times :)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de