Re: AW: Nomenclature

Peter Staudt wrote:
> In German it seems that names of OS are treated like names of towns.
> You never say "der, die oder das Berlin" that would sound silly. But
> if you use demonstrative pronouns it's simply neutral
> "dieses sch...s Windows" (ok, we'll not discuss wether Windows is an OS).
>
> The same should apply for (the) Hurd. "Hurd ist toll" but:
> "Dieses tolle Hurd macht Spaß."

Agreed. But Hurd is _different_, so it should always be mentioned with
the article (couldn't find the reference, sorry).

New Idea: I personally like it like  "the Borg", though this implicates
plural use as "the hurd are a set of servers emulating whatever". Ok, I
like Star Treck ... ;-)

> Looking forward to comments from linguistic experts.

I wonder who created the name of this system. Perhaps he can explain
what his intention was.

Patrick