Re: dependency problems again

> There is a new version of hurd, which depends on a new version of
> libc0.2, i believe it has unpacked these two packages, but because
> libc0.2 has changed its broken everything that depends on it.

I have verified this; this appears to be the problem.

> Im sure if i could update libc0.2 and hurd id be able to fix things, the
> libc0.2 depends on libnss, which depends on libdb2 and libdb2-utils,
> both of which depends on libc0.2.
>
> I consider myself a fairly competent debian user, but i just cant work
> the packaging system under the Hurd.

You should be able to cross compile the hurd, glibc et al from Linux.  I
have no clue how to do this using dpkg-dev (thus build debs).  In the past,
I have tried using ``dpkg-buildpackage -ahurd-i386'', however, this does
not work as it appears that /etc/dpkg/cross-config.gnu is completely broken.

> Is it a mistake to use packages at alpha.gnu.org (are they only
> experimental), or should i have not tried to upgrade the hurd package.

No, they are nonstandard fixes, i.e. quick hacks, or packages that have
real fixes but that are pending, e.g. waiting for the maintainer to
release a new version.

-Neal

--
Neal H Walfield