Re: Making an apt-able GNU/Hurd CDROM

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Javier Viñuales Gutiérrez wrote:

> On mié, nov 01, 2000 at 08:10:28 +0000, Philip Charles wrote:
> > Yes, the CD is bootable and installs the tarball nicely.
>
> Yes, but it's difficult to install another packages because the wrong
> default configuration of dselect.
>
> I tried to work with apt-cdrom on this Debian GNU/HURD CD but it was also
> difficult because dependency problems.
>
> ¿Did anybody have the same install/configuration problems with this CD?.
> PS: The CD is bootable and installs the tarball nicely too :)

Yes I did when I tested it.  I ended up installing individual packages
using dpkg.

The problem is that Hurd is under development and this means that dselect
and apt will not work properly even if they are set up to work from a CD.
Potato (2.2_r0) was frozen for months before all the issues which affect
the building of a CD were sorted out.  The only way that a good Hurd CD
could be produced is to have two versions on the mirrors, one frozen, the
other unstable, and have a team of people working on frozen making certain
that all the bugs were eliminated.  IMHO Hurd is not ready for this yet.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818