Re: [Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at>] Re: XEmacs 21.2 on the hurd

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 02:39:54PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  mke2fs -o hurd -O none -O sparse_super -L 'Debian GNU/Hurd' /dev/hda{2,3}

-O none is redundant here. e2fsprogs 1.19 gets it right without -O (by looking
at -o).

>  `apt-get' doesn't work under Hurd; it tries to, but first of all
>  tries to get "binary-i386" until I edit the sources.list... fixed
>  that, and then still; it did this before also; rather than a 404 it
>  bombs out saying "Socket Expection" (sic).  What's worng with it, I
>  wonder?

It's an extremely old and extremely broken version on the Debian ftp
archive. Use the apt you find at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/.
The next official apt version (> 0.3.19) will probably have all my fixes and
can go into the Debian archive proper.

>  There is no compiler suite or anything yet.  I've got to dink around
>  getting that installed, via ftp by hand, unless somebody knows the
>  magic that makes "apt-get" not cause "Socket Expection"'s.

Well, point the above apt at your Debian mirror and you are ready. But be
aware that we are in a state of flux, and don't always get the Dependencies
under Control. Sometimes its okay to --force-conflicts or --force-depends
(dpkg 1.6.999 at alpha.gnu.org is too strict btw, and chokes on almost
everything).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de