Re: Making an apt-able GNU/Hurd CDROM

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ramakrishnan M wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > yes, the structure is the same. Look in dpkg-scanpackages how to create
> > the Packages file. Also look at alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian, which
> > is apt-able. There is also a README in this directory documenting
> > how the Packges file is created.
>
> Thank you very much for the info. I looked at it. It is very helpful. One
> problem is that I don't have access to a debian Box here at office.
>
> > And then use your experiences to help Phil with the CD's :)
>
> sure. I will be very glad to share my experiences..

There are two parts to producing a Hurd installation CD; boot-floppies and
debian-cd.  boot-floppies is basically OK if the "purity" issue is
ignored.  There are improvements that can be made and no doubt bugs will
be discovered, but it works.  People can grab a kind of diff which can be
copied over the top the standard Debian 2.2.16 boot floppies from my site
www.copyleft.co.nz.  I have done it this way so people can see what I have
done easily.

Debian-cd is far more complex and requires the cooperation of a number of
people to get it up to standard.  apt and dselect need to be checked out
to make certain that they will work with cdroms, the exclusion list needs
to be up to date, the mirror needs to be consistent (mirrorcheck option
has to be switched off before the CD will build), the dependencies need to
be spot on and met.  In other words a lot of detail work needs to be done.
It will need Hurd hackers as it is beyond the abilities of a GNU/Linux CD
vendor.

I have debian CD scripts which I have used to build the CD, but they are
in such a mess that I can hardly follow them myself.  They have a nasty
bug which wrecks my mirror as well.  I will get onto making them somewhat
presentable and put them up on my site.  This will be in a few days time
and I will post to this list when this is done.

Mandrake 7.2 has just been released and I have run out of CDRs so I have
time to deal with my mail.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818