Re: L4 instead of gnumach?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 01:17:49PM -0700, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Hello all;

Hello,

> Many of us have had a discussion in #hurd on irc.openprojects.net. The
> discussion was about replacing gnumach with L4.
>
> Reasons for doing this:
> [..]
>
> There is real interest in doing this, so please don't brush it off. It
> is only being brought to the lists so others can comment and also so we
> don't butt heads with anyone.

I read the list for a couple of months now, and I'm still reading docs
about the micro-kernels, both Mach and L4. I will not give a "technical"
opinion since I have not at the moment the competence to do that, but I
have a practical proposition to make.

I have thought about this, but didn't know if you were interested enough
in it to try it. I was the organizer of the zeroth Debian Conference,
and I'm still the organizer of the next : the Debian Conference 1. The
conference is embedded in the Libre Software Meeting, which will be hold
from 4th to 8th of July 2001 in Bordeaux (France).

My proposal : invite some L4 developers so that we can have during these
5 days presentations, in-depth discussions, about kernels/micro-kernels
and HURD (developers of Linux will be here during the LSM, and the presence
of *BSD developers could not be a bad thing, IMHO).

This part will be a topic in its own right ; there will remain in the
Debian Conference only the Debian related discussions (distribution).

I think that a five days continuous diving in the micro-kernels/HURD
subject would be of great benefit for the people and the project (the
docs answer some questions, but many more arise...)

Regards,
--
Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>
10, rue du Bel Air, 74000 ANNECY - FRANCE/ Tel : 33.(0)4.50.67.46.61