Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 09:14:18AM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> > MACH uses cthreads, we figured it would keep things easier by going that
> > route. If you think otherwise I'd like to know why?
>
>   Isn't your (ultimate) goal to remove Mach-things from Hurd? cthreads
> is a Mach-only multithreading method, while pthreads is designed for a
> platform-independent manner. In addition, obviously, much more
> programmers know pthreads than cthreads.

I agree, if Mach is taken out of the picture there is no reason to stick with
Mach legacy like cthreads and even MIG. MIG is not a very good IDL language
it's highly Mach specific (duh Mach Interface Generator) and only supports
the C backend. A more widely supported ILD language (probably something
close to OMG IDL) could be used to rectify the situation.

Igor